When the restoration works after the World War II begun in Jelgava Palace, the renovators and builders found a lot of interesting objects which were related to the architecture and history of the Palace. The restoration works took place from 1955. to 1962.
In the autumn of 1961 before the last block of the building was finished, an exhibition was organized. The exhibition was distributed among three rooms. The exhibition featured findings which were found during the renovation and pictures which featured the renovation order. Exhibition grew and in 1963 the palace was visited by its first tourists. They were offered to familiarize themselves with the exhibition and walk through the renovated palace premises following the route: Rectorate – foyer – great hall – library – Faculty of Food Technology – Plant protection cathedra and to learn more about the history of the palace.
In 1964 museum received a special room for their needs. June 14th, 1968 was the 230th anniversary of the foundation-stone setting for the Jelgava palace. In remembrance of this event Latvia Academy of Agriculture (now Latvia University of Agriculture) opened a public museum. Tourists could view the palace interior and objects which were found in the process of reconstruction.
LLU museum has three exposition rooms. Every year museum is being visited by more than 10 thousand guests, students and foreign tourists. Presently the museum is researching Jelgava palace history, architecture, construction history, interior and layout in context with the Courland duchy in the relevant time in history. Museum employees also research, preserve and popularize higher education of agriculture and the history of LLU.